Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Etsy finds: Vintage Buttons

I've been an Etsy addict since my wedding- I got our invitations, my earrings, necklace, and veil there, as well as a ring bearer bowl and a few other things (like a totally-wedding-related catnip lightsaber). It's such a treasure trove of all sorts of goodness, I just can't stay away. My latest Etsy discovery? Buttons!

Even living so close to the New York garment district, it can be hard to find buttons that are unique, high quality, and reasonably priced. I've found lots of interesting buttons in the garment district, but the best ones can get expensive, and you still see a lot of the same things over and over again. Recently, though, I've found some gorgeous vintage buttons from Etsy sellers at pretty reasonable prices.

The great thing about buttons is that they are a fairly easy way to make something unique. Choosing special buttons can punch up a plain garment, whether homemade or store bought. It can also completely change the feel- picture a black blazer or cardigan with plain black buttons, then picture it with buttons like the ones below. It makes a huge difference! One note, though- if you are changing out the buttons on an item you already have, be sure to measure the existing buttons and get new ones that are the exact same size. Otherwise, your new buttons may not fit through your buttonholes- or they might be too small and slip out.

I'm trying SO SO hard to resist the urge to buy lots and lots of them before I have projects planned. However, I did get one set that was too good to pass up. Wouldn't these look amazing on a Sencha blouse, maybe in a dove grey silk to highlight the black buttons?

These are jet-black glass, and they glass has a weight and shine you just don't get from plastic. I can't wait to make something with them! From RageoftheAge.

I also love these- happy shopping!
Both from Oritdotan. This seller usually has more stock of most buttons, which is so nice.

I LOVE the color on these! From ButtonOdyssey.


What a stunner- this would be great on a coat or sweater that only needs a single button. You could even glue a brooch back to it and wear it as a pin. From ButtonOdyssey.

No comments:

Post a Comment