Definitely room for improvement!
Over the weekend, I made my first garment, a denim skirt. I used BurdaStyle's Sidonie #8281, which is a simple A-line skirt, although I shortened it by a few inches. Overall, I'm not thrilled with the result, but that's mainly my fault. I've already identified a few places where I went wrong:
- Although I checked the pattern size chart, I should have measured the pattern pieces or even done a muslin, because the skirt sits lower than I'd like, and the pattern was too big in the hips- I had to take in the hips midway through making the skirt.
- The fabric I chose, a mid-weight denim with a hint of stretch, was probably not ideal for a first project as it's fairly thick and stiff. It's also a little stiff for this skirt; I think I'd prefer this style in a drapey fabric.
- I may not remember as much about sewing as I thought I did! I used an online tutorial for inserting the invisible zipper, although I didn't have an invisible zipper foot (note to self: must buy one!), and that worked OK although there is some puckering below the zipper, which you can see in the photo below. Mostly I was so eager to get started that I just jumped into it, but I probably should have given myself a refresher on basic garment construction first.
That being said, I'm still satisfied with the results. I managed to complete the skirt, it basically fits, and I do think I'll wear it. However, I'll have to be more careful next time- I just bought some gorgeous fabrics and patterns and I do not want to mess those up! Luckily, I also bought a copy of the Reader's Digest New Complete Guide to Sewing, which I used the first time I learned to sew- it's exhaustive and I'm sure I'll be referring to it a LOT!